Welcome to my little space in the virtual world that consists of all things that make me happy.

Friday, September 9, 2011

Ready for fall....and apple pie!

Crisp mornings, football games, hoodies, carving punkins, the state fair, so many wonderful things about my favorite season. I love fall and everything it brings, especially seasonal food. Pumpkins, apples, and sweet potatoes are probably my three favorite things God brings us in the fall. Especially homemade APPLE PIE! My daddy has a couple apple trees in the backyard, unfortunately one tree filled with apples was brought to the ground after the hurricane winds a couple weeks ago. My mama and I gathered what we could and she made some oh so yummy apple cobbler and breakfast apple oatmeal. I decided to stock up on my apple pies for the season.



Canned Apple Pie Filling
about 12 lbs apples (I'm honestly not sure how many we had)
14 cups water
5 cups sugar
2 cups brown sugar
4 cups apple juice
2 tbsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp nutmeg
4 tsp salt
6 tbsp lemon juice
2 cups cornstarch

Peel, core and slice apples. Soak in a bowl of salt water to keep from browning. When ready, pack into glass quart canning jars about 1 inch from the top. Combine apple juice, 10 cups water, sugar, salt and spices in a VERY large pot and bring to a boil. Meanwhile, mix cornstarch, lemon juice and 4 cups water in a bowl until blended. Once combined, add it heated mixture in pot and stir until the corn starch has dissolved and sauce becomes think. Pour sauce over packed apples until about 3/4 inch from the top. Seal jars with clean heated lids and rings in boiling water as I have discussed before.

**You may have to alter your amount of sugar based on what type of apple you use, as some as sweeter than others. I used red delicious and yellow delicious. Using sweeter apples like Cameo, Jonathan, Fuji, or Gala might not need as much sugar. I don't recommend Granny Smiths for this recipe, you will need a lot of sugar!**

When you are ready to make a pie, just pop open a jar and put in a pastry shell and bake! Bring it on fall, I am ready :)

No comments:

Post a Comment