Welcome to my little space in the virtual world that consists of all things that make me happy.

Friday, July 8, 2011

Cake Pops!

Cake Pops are the new cupcake....and so much cuter! They are super easy and allow plenty of room for creativity. Bakerella is the founder of these treats and author of the book, which I hope to get one of these days. I took a shot at making some of these goodies, and although mine are nothing like the ones she does, I think I did decent.

Ingredients:
1 box cake mix (any flavor)
1 tub store-bought icing (any flavor)
White chocolate/Almond Bark/Candy Melts (any color)
Candy sticks
Styroform block
Parchment paper

Bake the cake mix as directed on the box in a 13 x 9 pan and let cool completely. Once cooled, break up cake in tiny pieces in a bowl and mix with about half to three-forths of the icing, depending on how you like it (in my case, the more icing the better!) Form into balls and place on a parchment paper covered cookie sheet. Place in the freezer at least 20-30 minutes.
Meanwhile, melt your candy coating in the microwave according to directions on package. You can color the white coating with food coloring, just make sure it is oil based coloring. Once the cake balls are chilled and firm, you are ready to dip. Dip candy stick into coatng before sticking it into the cake ball, this holds it together better. Coat cake pops completely and stick straight up into stroform block to dry, this allows it to dry evenly without forming a flat bottom. Decorate however you like!

I tried out some this past easter...chicks, easter eggs, flowers, and bunnys. Even though my brother said the bunnys look like hamsters! Oh well, it was my first time.









I also work part-time at the Flying Pig in Asheboro, NC. Everything there is themed around pigs, especially ones that fly...so I had to try some Piggy Pops. I have yet to perfect one with wings yet though!


             

No comments:

Post a Comment